Hazardous Household Waste and E-Waste Collection in Edmond

Here’s the dilemma, you’ve lived in your house for a few years and a small hardware store’s inventory of leftover paint and garden chemicals (hazardous household waste) have accumulated in the garage and shed. Now you’re being relocated and the moving company has told you they won’t transport these items. That means you have to dispose of it all before you leave. You might be able to pawn some fertilizer and bug spray off to your neighbors but what do you do with the rest? Is anyone going to want that gallon of lime green paint?

The problem is, you shouldn’t just toss it all into the trash. It’s best to let the professionals handle it for you. That’s why I was excited when my friends at Mayfield Paint and Finish (awesome painters by the way!) told me that The City of Edmond now offers door side collection of hazardous household waste and e-waste to residents. The special collection is managed by At Your Door, that’s a division of Waste Management.

Acceptable Hazardous Household Waste (HHW)

  • Automotive products
  • Flammable materials
  • Household cleaning products
  • Garden chemicals
  • Paint products
  • Batteries
  • Swimming pool chemicals
  • Fluorescent lightbulbs and tubes
  • Syringes and needles
  • Vehicle batteries

Acceptable E-Waste

  • Televisions
  • Computer systems
  • Consumer electronics like VCRs (remember those), stereos, microwaves, and cell phones

Hazardous Household Waste

The process is so easy! You simply call the collection hotline, 800-449-7587, to ask for a pick up. They will then send you a kit in the mail. The kit includes instructions and a large containment bag. Place the hazardous household waste into the bag with the e-waste next to it by your garage or door. That’s it! The service is available free of charge once a year. Find more information and a full list of acceptable and prohibited items here.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *