Congratulations, you’ve decided to buy a home! How exciting. Buying a home can feel like an insurmountable task and you may not even know where to begin. The first step is to find a REALTOR. Before you start, here are a few tips to keep in mind.
- The professional you choose should be knowledgeable about the area you are interested in. For example, if you are looking for a home in Edmond, an agent who specializes in Norman might not be a good fit. (Even if they are your sister in law’s cousin who you met once at a baby shower.)
- Speaking of the aforementioned sister in law’s cousin, there are over 8,500 Realtors in the state of Oklahoma. It’s pretty likely that you may have one in your family or living down the street. That does not mean that you are obligated to work with them.
- Buying a home is an emotional process. You will likely be spending a considerable amount of time with the Realtor you choose. So it is vital that you are comfortable with that person. You need to feel that you can be honest and express what is important to YOU in your next home.
- How will you communicate with your Realtor? How often will they send listing updates? Do you have several text conversations going on at any given moment? Do you only check your e-mail on the rare occasion you are actually at the office? Most Realtors will easily adapt to your needs. But there are some that haven’t embraced technology and if you prefer to communicate through a text, it might not be a good fit.
- How much time does the agent spend working real estate? Is it a full time gig or a side hustle? If you have a specific timeline in mind, a full time agent is probably going to better meet your needs.
As you begin the process of selecting a Realtor to help you buy a home, I would like the opportunity to interview for the position. My primary focus is representing buyers in Edmond and NW Oklahoma City. If that is the area you are interested in, please give me a call at the CENTURY 21 Goodyear Green office, 405-359-7400. Just ask for Kristyn.
If you are interested in a home in Norman, Guthrie, or Midwest City I’m probably not the REALTOR for you. However, my company is. We have offices in all those communities. Give me a call and I will connect you with an experienced professional in one of those markets.